How ridiculous is that sunset? If there’s anything that gets me about Hawaii it’s the crazy beautiful sunsets like this one. I mean that photo was taken on my phone and I didn’t use any Instagram filters — pinky promise.
But, back to my getaway; it was two birthdays and a wedding that brought me west for this latest trip. The week flew by at lightening speed, and, though I did my best to stay away from work, I kept plenty busy. Here are ten random observations along with a video to give you a stalker-level peek into my adventures:
- My friends are the greatest because they didn’t judge when I insisted that my first meal on island be a whole box of freshly-made manapua
- Despite having spent way more time in the car in Hawaii than I would have in L.A., I didn’t mind because driving in Hawaii is so darn scenic.
- Transporting a stunning 30-pound plus chocolate-chocolate cake from town to country can be seriously nerve-racking — especially when the only available space is your lap
- Looks can be deceiving like with a seemingly stuffy bartender at a chichi bar who got psyched rather than pissed when I ask him to go off menu to mix up one of my favorite cocktails
- The competitor in me revels beating my friends at bowling even though I know deep-down I don’t really know how to bowl well.
- I’ll choose a good karaoke session with my girlfriends — particularly if it includes belting Madonna — any day over a bowling win.
- The joy of indulging in a 3-hour dim sum marathon is only surpassed when a dear friend joins in on the fun
- Happiness is being able to actually get in the water for once on the North Shore because the waves were only inches tall.
- Loving that the extent of my “to do” list was hunting down quality Mai Tais and making a few of my own.
- We should all be so lucky to catch at least one amazing sunset like the one I caught above.
Here are some food joints (both new and old) that I visited this trip that are worth checking out:
Royal Kitchen Manapua
100 North Beretania Street Honolulu, HI 96817
Royal Garden Chinese Restaurant
410 Atkinson Dr, Honolulu, HI 96814
Lobby Bar at The Modern
1775 Ala Moana Blvd, Honolulu, HI 96815
Beet Box Cafe
66-443 Kamehameha Hwy, Haleiwa, HI 96712
56-565 Kamehameha Hwy, Kahuku, HI 96731